Food for Life

While serving as a missionary for the Southern Baptist International Mission Board. Lanette Thompson provided an insightful truth about trust. Because Africa is not a safe environment, she was regularly approached by people who said, "In order for you to go to West Africa, I guess you just have to trust in God's protection." Her response is shocking but true. She has answered this question by stating, "I can show you the grave of a fifteen-year-old missionary's child who died of hepatitis and a four-year-old who died of malaria. If my trust were in God's protection, my trust would crumble under such circumstances. My trust is in God, in the belief that he is in control and that whatever happens will happen for his glory." We can mistakenly place our trust in God's protection rather that God himslelf. The results of such misplaced trust will ultimately lead to spiritual disillusionment.

From McHenry's Stories for the Soul